executive order
-

Colorado leaders say Trump’s executive order targeting mail voting violates state election authority
—
by
Colorado leaders criticized President Donald Trump’s new executive order issued Tuesday, arguing that its creation of a national voter‑eligibility list and new limits on mail voting violate states’ constitutional authority to run their own elections. President Donald Trump has frequently criticized mail-in voting, calling it “mail-in cheating.” Through the SAVE Act in Congress, the president…
-

Colorado Springs City Council backs cities seeking injunction against state housing mandates
—
by
The Colorado Springs City Council reiterated its support Tuesday morning for the cities fighting Gov. Jared Polis’ executive order and state laws that try to direct specific housing measures across the state. The council voted 8-1 to pass a resolution supporting the injunction filed by Arvada, Aurora, Lafayette, and Westminster earlier this month against Executive…
-
A ‘stay-in-your-lane’ philosophy: Colorado’s chief justice speaks to role of government at MSU Denver
—
by
In a wide-ranging discussion last week at Metropolitan State University of Denver, Chief Justice Monica M. Márquez spoke to her own views on the proper role of government, describing her belief that all branches should adhere to their designated “lanes.” “It requires every part of democracy to kind of play its role in that system. And when…
-
Trump’s executive orders prompt US Attorney Office to pull out of Colorado judge’s diversity program
—
by
A pair of executive orders issued by President Donald Trump this week has prompted the U.S. Attorney’s Office for Colorado to withdraw from a federal judge’s longstanding internship program for law students of diverse backgrounds. Retired U.S. Magistrate Judge Kristen L. Mix started the Diversity Internship Program in 2014 to place University of Colorado and…
-

Polis to phase out gas-powered lawn equipment at Colorado facilities
—
by
Gov. Jared Polis is seeking to lower the state’s gas and water usage one lawn at a time. Polis signed an executive order on Wednesday requiring state facilities to phase out the use of gas-powered lawn and garden equipment, replacing them with electric equipment by June 2025. This includes anything from push lawn mowers to…
-

Polis issues executive order to expand apprenticeships in state agencies
—
by
Gov. Jared Polis signed an executive order Thursday to expand apprenticeship programs within state agencies, a move he hopes will help address staffing shortages. While there are two unemployed Coloradans for every open job in the state, the skills of applicants often don’t align with the skills needed for the jobs, Polis said. By offering more…
-

Polis orders National Guard unit to provide cybersecurity for November election
—
by
Gov. Jared Polis issued an executive order Monday activating a Colorado National Guard unit to assist with statewide cybersecurity during the upcoming election. Under the order, up to nine members of the Guard’s Defensive Cyber Operations Element will train with and assist the Secretary of State’s Office with election cybersecurity defense efforts ahead of Election…
-

Colorado won’t cooperate with out-of-state investigations into professional licenses over marijuana use
—
by
Gov. Jared Polis issued an executive order Thursday to prohibit licensing boards from denying a professional license in Colorado because of marijuana use. In the order, Polis said denying or revoking a person’s professional license because they use, possess or grow marijuana unfairly excludes people from the workforce for participating in activities that are legal in…
-

Polis extends disaster declarations for avian flu, wildfire
—
by
Gov. Jared Polis issued two executive orders Sunday to assist the state in responding to the avian flu and the aftermath of a wildfire in southern Colorado. The first executive order extended the declaration of the avian flu as a state of disaster emergency. The avian flu, also known as the bird flu or the…
-

Denver suspends jury trials until Feb. 11 citing COVID-19
—
by
Jury trials in Denver won’t resume until at least Feb. 11 due to the recent surge of COVID-19 cases caused by the omicron variant. Chief Judge Michael A. Martinez with the Second Judicial District, which includes Denver, made the executive order on Friday. He wrote while cases have began to slightly decrease, local health official…

