Anyone who’s been following the debate about closing some city schools should pay close attention to a report the school district’s buildings manager gave to the board of education last week. Bob Lawson, executive director of facilities and construction management for Pueblo City Schools (D60), reported that a wall outlet at Heroes K-8 Academy had shorted out, causing an electrical fire.
The fire was quickly extinguished and thankfully no one was injured. But this incident should be a wake-up call for anyone who even pretends to care a little bit about the welfare of our city’s young people.
The condition of the electrical system at Heroes is so bad that district officials aren’t even sure they’ll be able to make it until the end of the school year without being forced to shut the school down. As a precautionary measure, staff members at the school might need to refrain from using coffeemakers, microwaves and space heaters to prevent another potentially deadly power surge.