“Deadbeat dads” is kind of a harsh label. And according to Joe Manzanares, a case manager for the Pueblo County Department of Social Services, it’s probably not being fairly applied to at least some non-custodial parents who fail to pay court-ordered child support.

“There are lots of gray areas as to why people don’t pay,” Manzanares said. “There’s a big difference between those that don’t want to pay and those who can’t pay or don’t know how to pay. We are trying to break that apart.”

In 2017, the department started a program designed to help parents who are having trouble making those payments, for whatever reason.

Read more at The Pueblo Chieftain.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.