State Rep. Chris Hansen was one of 15 state and local Democratic officials named to a national network of leaders working on pro-growth progressive solutions.
The group is called The NewDEAL, which is an acronym for "developing exceptional American leaders." The network is made up of about 165 networks from among more than 1,500 nominees over the NewDEAL's eight-year history.
Democratic U.S. Sen. Mark Warner of Virginia and former Delaware Gov. Jack Markell are honorary co-chairs. Colorado Gov. Jared Polis is one of 11 honorary vice-chairs, joining former Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper.
Former Denver City Councilman Albus Brooks is an alumnus of the Washington, D.C.-based leadership program.
“While much of the political world is focused on the balance of power in D.C., we must also remember the tremendous impact that innovative state and local officials have on enacting policies that meet the demands of a changing world and expand opportunity for all," Warner and Markell said in a joint statement. "Supporting the rising leaders in The NewDEAL has never been more important.
"We look forward to promoting the work of Rep. Hansen and giving him the opportunity to learn from other leaders as he joins a network with a proven track record of governing successfully in diverse communities.”
Hansen stated: “As we continue to build on our progress on education reform and addressing climate change in Denver, I look forward to sharing the lessons we have learned and hearing from other leaders who are setting the standard for effective governance. I’m excited to be a part of this new class and to work with them on NewDEAL’s efforts to expand opportunity in communities nationwide.”
Joining Hansen in the class are:
- Sen. Raumesh Akbari, Memphis, Tennessee
- City Council member Stacie Anderson, Missoula. Montana
- City Council member Lacey Beaty, Beaverton, Oregon
- Advisory Neighborhood Commission treasurer Taylor Berlin, Washington, D.C
- Mayor Hollie Cost, Montavello, Alabama
- Select Board vice chair Molly Cowan, Exeter, New Hampshire
- City Council member Luke Fuszard, Middleton, Wisconsin
- City Council member Francisco Heredia, Mesa, Arizona
- State Rep. Nima Kulkarni, Louisville, Kentucky
- County Commission chair Natalia Macker, Teton County, Wyoming
- State Rep. Mari Manoogian, Birmingham, Michigan
- State Sen. Jennifer McClellan, Richmond, Virginia
- City Council member Keith Powers, New York City
- State Rep. Ashton Wheeler Clemmons, Guilford, North Carolina