Here are legislative committee hearings and other events of note for the week ahead at the Colorado state Capitol.
Committee schedules are subject to change. The daily schedule is available on the Legislature’s website.
This week, the General Assembly will begin allowing remote testimony for selected bills. Here are the ground rules from the Legislative Council publication on public participation:
During the 2020 legislative session, 10 sites will be available for remote testimony:
- Adams State University in Alamosa
- Colorado Mesa University in Grand Junction
- Colorado Mesa University in Montrose
- Colorado Mountain College-Vail Valley in Edwards
- Colorado Mountain College in Steamboat Springs
- Fort Lewis College in Durango
- Lamar Community College in Lamar
- Northeastern Junior College in Sterling
- Otero Junior College in La Junta
- Trinidad State Junior College in Trinidad
If you wish to testify remotely, you will need to sign up through the General Assembly's registration website. Bills available for remote testimony will be indicated on the registration website, as well as the House and Senate calendars.
In order for a remote testimony site to be available for testimony, at least one witness must be registered to testify at the site at least 24 hours before the hearing on the previous business day. The deadline is 10 a.m. for committees scheduled to meet Upon Adjournment.
If at least one witness is registered by the deadline, additional witnesses may continue to sign up online to testify remotely until one hour before the scheduled hearing time and may sign up at the remote testimony site until public testimony on the bill concludes. Please note that there is no guarantee that all witnesses, including remote witnesses, will be permitted to testify on a bill, or that remote witnesses will be able to testify at a specific time.
MONDAY, JAN. 27
Bill of the day: Senate Judiciary Committee, 1:30 p.m., Room 357
Senate State, Veterans and Military Affairs Committee, 1:30 p.m., Legislative Services Building, room B (LSB-B)
- SB 91, Zenzinger and Sonnenberg: Minimum Pay For State Military Forces
- SB 35, Scott: Kiosk Program Provider Vehicle & Identity Services. Available for remote testimony.
House Memorial to former Speaker of the House Ruben Valdez, 10 a.m., House chambers
House Energy & Environment Committee, 1:30 p.m., Room 107
- HB 1070, Buck: Local Gov Liable Fracking Ban Oil & Gas Moratorium
- HB 1060, Titone and Soper: Natural Organic Reduction Human Remains. Background here.
House Rural Affairs & Agriculture, 1:30 p.m. Legislative Services Building, room A (LSB-A)
- HB 1004, Cutter and Will:Assistance Landowner Wildfire Mitigation — For Action Only
- HB 1003, Roberts and Rich: Rural Jump-start Zone Act Modifications. Remote testimony available.
TUESDAY, JAN. 28
Senate Local Government, 2 p.m., Room 354
- SB 108, Gonzales: Landlord Prohibitions Tenant Citizenship Status
House Education Committee, 1:30 p.m., Room 107
- HB 1005, Michaelson Jenet and Van Winkle: Enhance Safe2Tell
- HB 1002, McLachlan and Baisley: College Credit For Work Experience. Background here.
House Judiciary Committee, 1:30 p.m., Room 112
- HB 1014, Tipper and Rich: Misuse Of Human Reproductive Material
- HB 1088, Gonzales-Gutierrez: U Visa Certification Requirements
- HB 1130, Soper and Weissman: Online Availability Of Judicial Opinions
- HB 1019, Herod: Prison Population Reduction And Management
WEDNESDAY, JAN. 29
Senate Education Committee, upon adjournment., Room 352
- SB 5, Coram: Smart School Bus Safety Pilot Program. Available for remote testimony.
- SB 89, Danielson and Garcia: Educator Pay Raise Fund
Senate State, Veterans and Military Affairs, 1:30 p.m., Room 357
- SB 66, Priola: Highly Effective Teachers & Low-performing Schools. Background here.
- SB 44, Lundeen: Sales & Use Tax Revenue For Transportation.
THURSDAY, JAN. 30
Senate Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee, 1:30 p.m. Room 357
- SB 54, Coram: Rural Development Grant Program Creation. Available for remote testimony.
- SB 24, Coram and Donovan: Require Public Input On Water Demand Mgmt Program
Senate Health & Human Services Committee, 1:30 p.m. Old Supreme Court chambers
- SB 28, Pettersen and Priola: Substance Use Disorder Recovery
- SB 7, Pettersen and Winter: Treatment Opioid & Other Substance Use Disorders
- SB 40, Ginal and Todd: Require License Practice Genetic Counseling
House Judiciary Committee, 1:30 p.m. Room 112
- HB 1123, Lontine and Soper: Grace Period Before Failure To Appear Warrant
- HB 1148, Soper: Offenses Committed Against A Deceased Human Body
- HB 1121, Mullica and Soper: Retaliation Against An Elected Official
House State, Veterans & Military Affairs Committee, 1:30 p.m. LSB-A